A year long programme of special events in Glasgow will celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the birth of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Glasgow’s most famous architect, designer and artist.
Born in Glasgow on 7 June 1868, Charles Rennie Mackintosh went on to be regarded as one of the most creative figures of the 20th century and a leading figure in the Scottish Arts & Crafts Movement and European Art Nouveau.
Attractions and Events in Glasgow
- Mackintosh’s 150th anniversary year begins with a major new exhibition at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, presenting his work in the context of Glasgow, his peers and contemporaries and how it contributed to creating the Glasgow Style.
- The Lighthouse in Mitchell Lane is a great starting place to learn about Mackintosh and his work with the Mackintosh Interpretation Centre providing informative timelines, models, photos and drawings detailing his life, work, and lasting legacy.
- A new exhibition and visitor centre will open at Miss Cranston’s original Willow Tea Rooms, designed by Mackintosh in 1903, in their original Sauchiehall Street location. The opening will take place on 7 June 2018 to coincide with Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s birthday.
- The Hunterian, located on the University of Glasgow campus,is home to an unrivalled collection of work by Mackintosh and his wife, the artist Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh, and features The Mackintosh House, a re-assembly of the principal interiors of their Glasgow home.
- Unseen for 50 years, Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s Oak Room is the largest of Miss Cranston’s Ingram Street Tearooms and will be conserved and installed as the centrepiece of the new V&A Dundee’s Scottish Design Galleries. The new museum opens to the public on Saturday 15th September, presenting the perfect chance to see a rare piece of his work.
- Throughout October 2018, the seventh annual Mackintosh Festival will continue the celebration of Mackintosh’s achievements.
As well as commemorating his remarkable achievements, Mackintosh 150 provides a focal point in safeguarding Mackintosh’s legacy for future generations.
Organise a bespoke tour
Contact Little’s if you would like to organise a bespoke tour of Mackintosh attractions and events on 0141 883 2111 or at email@example.com.